Life as a magazine writer can take you strange places, and I'm still not sure whether watching a Disney film in Norwegian or reviewing Richmond restaurant Al Boccon Di'Vino was the most interesting part of yesterday

Life as a magazine writer can take you strange places, and I’m still not sure whether watching a Disney film in Norwegian or reviewing Richmond restaurant Al Boccon Di'Vino was the most interesting part of yesterday.

The former took place during a tour of Shepperton Studios, the famed collection of housing-estate-surrounded-aircraft-hangars at the heart of so many blockbusting films – it’s the ‘home’ studio of Sir Ridley and Tony Scott.

Keen eyed film fans may have even spotted the campervan of a certain Martin Scorsese making the journey to and fro between Shepperton and its big brother, Pinewood, recently; he’s been filming, Hugo Cabret.

Shepperton also happens to be the place where the dubbing for Disney’s all encompassing film empire takes place – hence, my experiencing the Norwegian ‘Sir Michael Caine’ in surround sound.

I should have got some idea that all was not quite as you might expect about my restaurant review pick when I mentioned it at Shepperton and my tour guide (who is, after all, used to bumping into film stars on a daily basis) laughed: it’s great, he said, but a bit different.

That it is. No menu for a start. No wine list either! Red or white? Just relax and go with the flow… we did and four hours later, dessert was over - a thoroughly enjoyable evening and completely different from the norm. Unique.

Anyway, must get my head together and get these both down on paper for March’s magazine and, hopefully, your reading pleasure.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Matt

P.S. Please keep your own restaurant recommendations and reviews coming, they make great reading.