I'm stuck in a metal box. The temperature's soaring and sweat is dripping from the ceiling. The only way to relieve ourselves is into another smaller metal box – this isn't a night in with a M&S meal deal and favoured bottle of vino

I’m stuck in a metal box. The temperature’s soaring and sweat is dripping from the ceiling. The only way to relieve ourselves is into another smaller metal box – this isn’t a night in with a M&S meal deal and favoured bottle of vino. I’ve got a decision to make. A split second life or death call while a family’s house is being overrun by insurgents. My superior is tearing my ear off for my indecisiveness. If I shoot, everyone dies…

At least that’s how it felt during Thursday’s showing of Lebanon, a film that won the Golden Lion at last year’s Venice Film Festival but received mixed reviews in the British press, at Guildford Picture Palace.

I imagine that claustrophobia and intensity is exactly the feeling the makers of Lebanon aimed to create, with their fly-on-the-wall, at-the-heart-of-the-action take on young soldiers lost in modern warfare.

I have to admit, that when I read the film was set almost solely inside a tank my curiosity may have been piqued but my anticipation wasn’t quite sure what to think. But, after the event, I’d recommend giving it a watch when you’re in the mood for something a little more thought provoking than Strictly.

Matt

P.S. If you’ve had any involvement with Guildford Picture Palace, I’d love to read your responses to the following question: In 100 words, why do you think a permanent Guildford Picture Palace venue would be a good thing for the town?

Further reading
A sign of the times? Guildford Picture Palace and the independence of Surrey's High Streets