Having devoured the latest edition of my favourite music magazine, The Word, I noticed they've started to chart each issue with a soundtrack, compiled on the digital music service Spotify. This got me wondering whether it might be possible to put together a ten track Surrey Life Spotify set list. So, here goes...

Having devoured the latest edition of my favourite music magazine, The Word, I noticed they’ve started to chart each issue with a soundtrack, compiled on the digital music service Spotify. This got me wondering whether it might be possible to put together a ten track Surrey Life Spotify set list from tracks that have at least a vague Surrey connection and that I already have saved – as I’ve got 5,000 odd and it was a horrid rainy morn, the challenge was too much to resist. So, here goes...

1. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant – Gallows Pole
    Led Zeppelin guitar hero Jimmy Page grew up in Epsom and has received an honorary degree for services to the music industry from the University of Surrey.
  2. Imogen Heap – Headlock
    One of a whole host of stars, including Amy Winehouse, The Kooks and Katie Melua, to come from the Brit School production line in Croydon.
  3. Eric Clapton – Cocaine
    Blues hero and occasional cricketer, the guitarist also happens to be a Ewhurst resident.
  4. Newton Faulkner – I Need Something
    Redhill born, taught at the ACM in Guildford and a regular performer at charity gigs in his hometown, Reigate.
  5. The Who – Love Reign O’er Me
    Songwriter Pete Townshend being a firm fixture in Richmond seemed to be a good enough reason to pick one of my favourite ever songs – a misspent youth brought up on ‘classic rock’ I suppose.
  6. Fatboy Slim – Weapon of Choice
    Ol’ Norman Cook has come a long way, baby, since his formative years being educated at Reigate Grammar School.
  7. John Martyn – Solid Air
    Born in New Malden, Martyn released one of the defining British albums of the 1970s, Solid Air, the title song a tribute to the singer-songwriter Nick Drake.
  8. The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil
    With Richmond long a hunting ground, Sir Mick and Ronnie Wood both still have connections to the area, with the latter taking up residence at Ruxley Towers, Claygate.
  9. The Jam – The Eton Rifles
    Said to be one of PM David Cameron’s favourite tracks much to the dismay of the staunchly Labour supporting Woking son, Paul Weller.
  10. Pearl Jam – Even Flow
    American rock legends with seemingly no Surrey connections – until you realise that their debut and most successful album to date, Ten, was mixed at Ridge Farm Studios in Capel, in 1991.

Listen to this Surrey Life set list on Spotify, and post your own compilations below...

Have a great weekend!

Matt