I have no idea whether Alberto Tomba has a sense of humour but if the Italian former alpine ski champion enjoys the lighter side of life and had received an invite, I have little doubt he'd have been in Surbiton on Sunday.

I have no idea whether Alberto Tomba has a sense of humour but if the Italian former alpine ski champion enjoys the lighter side of life and had received an invite, I have little doubt he’d have been in Surbiton on Sunday.

While the invite must have gone missing in the post, Brian the British Banker, Cockney Al, Captain Rob Smith (the former world record holder) and Fairy Nuff were left to test the strength of the ice blocks attached to their feet and the velocity said footwear could achieve when coerced down St Mark’s Hill.

The second Surbiton Ski Sunday saw a one hundred strong crowd cheering on the fearless daredevils prepared to get out of bed early and throw themselves at the mercy of science and a washing up liquid aided 21-metre ski track.

A new world record was set by Jack Dimes, who made it down the slope with all limbs in tact (much to the disappointment of the onlooking and expectant St John Ambulance volunteers) in a lightning 10.66 seconds. Former champion Rob Smith did taste some victory on the day, however, when his Team Fromage took the overall team title.

Not simply a bout of brilliant English eccentricity, the event should benefit the Shooting Star Hospice to the tune of almost £4,000.

Matt

Were you at Surbiton Ski Sunday? Share your pics with us @ www.facebook.com/SurreyLife