SIMON Clegg last week once again made the Marcus Evans situation perfectly clear.

The owner, according to the chief executive, remains as committed to Ipswich Town as ever.

“You will all recognise the fact that he has spent a lot of money over the near five years that he has owned the club. And he continues to be as committed today as the day he joined,” Clegg told the club’s PLC annual general meeting last Tuesday night.

But the ensuing message was loud and clear – don’t ever expect Evans to step out of the shadows. Today, it is five years since the reclusive Town owner officially took over the club. 

Five years of huge promise, big managers and big wages. But sadly little in the way of actual football success.

Until that changes on the pitch, some fans will always relate a lack of success with the fact that they are owned by a man who has done his utmost to shun the limelight. But if Mick McCarthy continues to lead the Blues up the Championship table, and he is given the finances to do just that, most will be unconcerned about Evans’ quest for privacy.

Personally, I think fans shouldn’t be worried about the private family man. Like with Clegg, Evans has been on a huge learning curve in the football world and he has quite simply got things wrong – the biggest, for me, was the initial theory that chucking money at players would guarantee success.

You could look at Evans’ managerial record and point the finger, but, as Clegg likes to tell us, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

And while it might be early days, the appointment of McCarthy does look like it could be a shrewd one.

It is possible to have your privacy while also retaining a voice at Portman Road.

Too many times, during too many crises, Evans has remained too quiet. When things are going wrong on the pitch, the owner should be coming out and offering a reassuring word or two to fans.

Let me make this clear. I am not saying Marcus should give out his mobile number to myself or sit down regularly for one-to-one interviews.

I have asked that question, been given just one interview via email, and have accepted, begrudgingly, that I will not be getting too close to Mr Evans. Simon Clegg is his public persona and the chief executive readily makes himself available to the media – during good times and bad.

But sometimes it should be the owner who should be heard, if not seen.

I have no problem with his pursuit of privacy. He clearly wants to keep his family away from the public eye and everyone should respect that.

But what I would like to see is Evans making a few more statements throughout the year. They could be on all matters ITFC and made via the matchday programme or the club website – though the Star/EADT back page is an equally good platform!

As owner of this fantastic football club, Evans could point to the positives on and off-the-pitch and just make himself seem a little more friendly towards the day-to-day goings-on at Portman Road.

No one is questioning his commitment or his intentions. But as he reaches his five-year anniversary, is it too much to ask for a little more public input from the owner of the football club?