"IT'S business as usual. Paul is more conscious than anyone what needs to happen. He puts huge pressure on himself and I'm confident that he is the right man to get us heading in the right direction. I'm not going to tell you when that tipping point is because it will depend on a number of factors which have to be taken into account as we go down this particular road."

Simon Clegg's comments on Tuesday to the club's Ipswich Player moved to end 72 hours of uncertainty surrounding the position of Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell.

Speaking on behalf of owner Marcus Evans, Clegg made it clear that Jewell would be in charge against Barnsley tomorrow.

It was done to draw a veil over the rumours, whether including Harry Redknapp or not, and it was something the club had to do. I make no secret of the fact that my back page headline on Wednesday morning would have read 'Wall of Silence' had they not.

But what does the statement actually mean for Jewell?

So Jewell is in charge tomorrow but will get the sack if they lose at Oakwell?

Not necessarily. A defeat would make it six out of seven or indeed just two wins from 14 league games, this season and last. Whichever grim stats you choose, the picture would indeed look bleak. A lot would depend on how much credence you give to Clegg's words this week. The message was that Jewell would be given more time, something that would seem a little incredulous if the manager was then fired just days later. Another factor that might come into the equation is that Town then play again on Tuesday night, a rather daunting trip to the Amex to face current league leaders Brighton. Jewell might be given both these away matches - judged by performances as well as points on the board. Then there is just one final match before the international break - next Saturday evening when the Sky cameras visit Portman Road for the visit of Cardiff. If the next game or two doesn't go Town's way, Evans might look to make a change before the national media congregate on Suffolk or he might delay a decision and ponder before the two-week international break.

Ok, then a win must buy him more time?

Not necessarily (again). Roy Keane lost his last game at home to Nottingham Forest though earned a credible draw at Coventry and a 3-0 win over Leicester in the two matches previous (though, overall, his record in his last few months wasn't great). Then there was Jim Magilton whose 'reward' for a 3-2 home win over Norwich was the boot. What we can decipher from this is that when Evans makes his mind up, he won't change it on the strength of one or two positive results. If - and I stress this remains an if - he has started having serious reservations about Jewell, then he might have already decided when the tipping point will be reached, regardless of Clegg's public show of support. That said, a victory would certainly lift some of the doom and gloom - though not ending, at the drop of the hat, all the current problems. If the past proves anything, it is that even a win at Barnsley might not be enough to save the manager.

Clegg is right, every manager has a 'tipping point'. So when is PJ's?

One of the problems with having a reclusive owner is that you never know what he is thinking. The closest I have ever got to interviewing Evans came via ten questions I had to submit to the club's press officer. Another time, when I called Evans' office directly, the next contact I had was through Clegg. So it is virtually impossible to predict when a tipping point might be reached. As I say, we might almost be there or a poor result on Saturday could be the decisive factor. But Evans could wait until the international break or until well into October or November when he must start deciding what to do with Jewell's own contract, which runs out next summer.

That's clear as mud then. What do we know about Evans when it comes to hiring and firing?

As stated above, Evans has proved in the past that he is willing to make a change even after a decent result. But the most telling comments about the owner's psyche comes from the mouth of Jewell himself. The Blues boss admitted in January that Evans would have a new man all-but in place before firing the existing incumbent. The time-span between Magilton's exit and Keane's appointment (one-day) and then Keane to Jewell (three days) proves this. 

I'll end with those telling words from Mr Jewell...

“If I got the boot tomorrow (Friday) and a manager came in Monday or Tuesday, I think that’s the right thing to do – you almost have to have a contingency plan."