What a week!

As has been customary with fans of Ipswich Town, every single emotion has been endured in the last week-and-a-bit.

It started with horrendous defeats - where, arguably, the Carlisle cup shock was harder to take than the 6-0 at Blackpool, who at least showed enough clinical quality to suggest they will once again be in the promotion shake-up.

At Brunton Park, Town created chances and were professional... for 45 minutes. After half-time, and for the whole of extra-time, the Blues just thought they could coast to victory - having no answer when United, currently the 17th best team in League One, upped their game. Worrying and disappointing in equal measure.

But those woes were quickly forgotten in the final frantic days of the summer transfer window when for a while, it looked like it was going to be one of the busiest at Portman Road in recent memory.

I should't moan about four players arriving or leaving, not to mention Guirane N'Daw, but when you run a 14-hour live transfer blog and you sign no one, you can imagine my frustration! That said, it was an interesting experience - a first for our football coverage - and one that has given us a few exciting ideas for the near future. Watch this space.

Anyway, back to the football, I'm wasn't exactly enamoured by the return of Daryl Murphy. He does offer Town a great physical presence and he won every high ball in the air on Saturday. But I don't think he offers enough from a wide area and he is a little too one-paced for me. I'd prefer him in the central role.

The same positional wish also applies for Paul Taylor, a young man who is altogether more exciting. I am told he is a very quite chap off the pitch, nervous at the prospect of doing media interviews for instance.

But on it, against Huddersfield, he was a little livewire, offering enough to suggest he could be quite a coup for Paul Jewell.

He is going to have to be for the Blues boss. Taylor might not have arrived with George Boyd - very much a watch-this-space at present - but the 24-year-old striker was still Jewell's most expensive signing to date.

With that, comes added pressure. Marcus Evans has eventually backed his boss and Taylor now needs to deliver to help his boss earn a new deal.

I think £1.5million, rising to above £2million we are told, is a hell of a lot of money for a lad who has had one good season in the Championship and who is out of contract next season. But then Taylor is a good age and offers something completely different to almost any other Ipswich player - his ability to run and scare defenders is probably only shared by Lee Martin.

The questionable size of his fee will only be justified, or not, over the next few seasons.

Taylor showed promise on Saturday but he will need to hit the ground running to ensure both Ipswich occupy the right half of the league and Jewell has the best possible chance of earning an extended contract.

* This blog will return next Monday when, hopefully, we will be talking about some new defenders signing/arriving