I CAN still remember the excitement created by Jimmy Bullard's permanent deal to Ipswich Town.

The Blues had shipped in five against Southampton, seven against Peterborough and were predictably at a low ebb.

The whole place needed a lift and who better than the clown prince of Portman Road - just months after becoming the darling of the terraces following a fantastic loan spell.

For an all-too-short time, Bullard helped Town become one of the best sides in the Championship. But that short time pretty much lasted six matches. We all know what happened thereafter.

With the Blues still lacking a creative presence in the heart of the midfield, the most optimistic dared to dream Jimmy could still have a future in Jewell's new-look, younger side.

But today should see Bullard's exit from Portman Road, leaving Town fans with nothing but memories - some good, many bad.

Here are my top 10 Bullard moments from his time at Ipswich (my thanks for the input from #itfc fans on Twitter). It is telling that so many don't actually include football moments.

DERBY DESTROYER: No, not that goal against Norwich, sublime in execution but mattering not in the overall picture. Instead I take you back to February 1, 2010, when the love affair began. Just 28 minutes into Bullard's first game, we had his first goal as Derby County were beaten 2-1. My man on Twitter said he joined in with chants of 'We are going up'. Not quite but Jimmy had arrived.

TV HEAVEN: When I asked #itfc followers on Twitter for their Jimmy highlights, out on top was his two goals against Cardiff City in March 2011 (below). Any trip to the Bluebirs is going to be tough but in front of the Sky cameras, Bullard was simply inspired and the chants of 'sign him up' were gathering momentum.

THE QUARTERBACK: For six games last season, Ipswich Town were, in my opinion, the best team in the league. Never was this more the case when the Blues played West Ham off Upton Park. Bullard, in a holding midfield role in Jewell's diamond formation, revelled in the position. Like an American Football quarterback, he could pick up the ball and pass and pass. Sadly, it didn't work for long.

KICK-OFF: On any list of players Town fans love to hate, the name of David Nugent is always going to be close to the top. So when our Jimmy took it upon himself to give Nugent a playful kick up the backside in the final minute of a 2-0 home defeat to Portsmouth, it just helped even further enter the Portman Road folklore.

PARTY GAMES: Home to Coventry City, in front of the Sky cameras, Bullard's arrival had heralded a change of fortune and atmosphere. So when the midfielder and his team mate Keith Andrews both wanted to have a shot from a free kick, the pair thought nothing of a quick game of rock, paper, scissors to decide who should get the nod. Crazy but fantastic.

AWARD-WINNER: Bullard's loan spell was hugely successful with five goals scored in 13 games. Yet the midfielder was as surprised as anyone when it ended with him being named Supporters Player of the Year. A sign of a poor season? Maybe. But also how adored Bullard was following a cracking three months.

FANS FRIEND 1: One memory of mine that may not have been noticed by many came, again, against Coventry City, this time at the Ricoh. In blizzard-like conditions, Bullard spent much of the match warming up. But he still found time to talk to a Sky Blue and share a joke and a smile. Typical Jimmy.

ROCK 'N' ROLL: Town needed a PR lift after losing 7-1 to Peterborough. Deciding to offer free away transport to Blackpool, they needed someone to take part in a photo-call to promote the idea. Enter Bullard who braved a truly horrible morning to pose with fans, beach mats and even some rock, not once uttering a moan.

BLONDE AND CURLY: Bullard's play and attitude was always going to make him a cult hero on the terraces. Throwing his blonde curly locks and he was a marketing dream. It was not long before the wigs were on sale and on show inside Portman Road.

FANS FRIEND 2: My final top 10 memory of Bullard is arguably my favourite. Last season was truly disappointing, ending with a dismal home defeat by Millwall and lacklustre lap of 'honour'. As is tradition, fans congregated close to the tunnel to get photos and autographs from their heroes. Some obliged for a handful, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas stayed for longer. And then there was Jimmy, patiently fulfilling every request. He spent so long outside that by the time he wandered back in the dressing room, it wouldn't surprise if some of his team mates had already showered and left!