AT one stage in the second half of Town's miserable 3-2 defeat by Nottingham Forest, a section of the home fans started chanting 'attack, attack, attack'.

In this Saturday's home match against Reading, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole of Portman Road, in unison, turned it round to 'defend, defend, defend'.

This can't go on. When Southampton and Peterborough scored against Ipswich for fun, we blamed it on the lack of centre-backs.

Now we have some good ones, ironically Danny Collins and Ivar Ingimarsson were two of the better performers at the City Ground, and it still wasn't enough.

I'm not going to say I have all the answers, but in the last few matches Town have got overrun in the middle of the park and also in wide areas. If one of those things happen, you are in trouble. Both, and any back four in the world wouldn't be able to cope.

I still think having two central defensive midfielders could be the answer but personally I don't care if Paul Jewell lines up with six across his defence, he just needs to stop the torrent of goals flooding past poor David Stockdale.

There has been predictable talk in very small quarters about whether Jewell is the right man for the job or whether Ipswich could even find themselves in League One next season.

I would currently disagree with both. But the stats don't lie. Town are currently a below mid-table side and that is exactly where they should be.

Never mind some fantastic performances which had us all dreaming. When you concede goals at a rate of knots, then you are never going to be anywhere near a top six finish.

And that will be the case until Jewell sorts out his defending, all over the pitch. I personally think the back four is good, Ingimarsson will get better with games under his belt while we still have Ibrahima Sonko to come back.

But they desperately need protection from a midfield that is getting overrun too often in games.

Whether at home or not, I think most fans will take some defensive solidity and then build from there. If that means some bore draws, then so be it - however tragic it is writing those words.  As long as the final score starts reading nil to the opponents.