HOW do you start picking the bones out of that?

The Blues' 3-2 home defeat at rock bottom Doncaster Rovers left too many questions - and all worrying ones.

Why was Colin Healy preferred over the young legs of Lee Martin or Josh Carson? Does Paul Jewell have a Plan B to a diamond midfield that has painfully not worked in recent games? Why have the defensive problems returned to haunt Town once again? And just what is wrong with Jimmy Bullard?

As I say worrying, following another dire 90 minutes at Portman Road. Never mind the scoreline, Town were never in this match at all, save for a bright opening 10 minutes in the second half when Martin and Carson inspired some life into the zombie-like men in blue.

By that time, Ipswich were 3-0 down at half-time against, currently, the worst team in the league. There's no way of sugar coating that.

All the aformentioned questions are serious ones but I would suggest that Jewell starts with the most important before working out the rest. 

For me, that is the staggering amount of easy goals that are being leaked in by Town. Of course, this means a good hard look at his defenders but also what is going on in front of them.

Ipswich might start with a diamond midfield full of experience but none of the four seem to take any real responsibility for protecting the back four. This is fine when you are keeping the ball as well as the side did against West Ham or Coventry, but when the likes of Bullard are repeatedly closed down, it opens up a whole host of problems for the likes of Danny Collins et al.

So where do you go from here? I would like to see more width and pace in the team - who wouldn't? - but I worry that Town still don't have the right two centre midfielders to play a traditional 4-4-2, certainly this formation would currently rule Bullard out of the equation.

The defence need more protection and perhaps this would come from a 4-2-3-1 formation. Two defensive-minded central midfielders in front of the back four, while still releasing a further four in front of them to attack, not to mention the likes of Aaron Cresswell.

Deciding upon the two sitting midfielders does pose it problems with Town not blessed with many such players (Mark Kennedy and Luke Hyam are the only ones that spring to mind). I would go with Kennedy, Town's best player at the start of the season, and Keith Andrews, fulfilling the same role as he does for Ireland. 

With Michael Chopra on his own upfront, flanked by Carson and Martin who both shone on Saturday, it would leave a straight fight between Grant Leadbitter, Bullard and JET as to who would be the attacking point of the midfield.

With a trip to Nottingham Forest on the horizon, I would probably opt for Leadbitter (who can also provide some defensive reinforcement) or JET (in the free attacking role he craves). Jimmy is just not cutting it for me, I'm afraid.

* For the last four weeks, I have chased an interview with Connor Wickham in the run-up to England Under-21s match with Iceland at Colchester United this Thursday night. Finally getting the go-ahead last week to speak to Wickham for the first time since his departure from Portman Road, his cruel injury at the weekend has put paid to that.

The teenager must be devastated having finally started to show his worth at Sunderland. But the 18-year-old is literally made of strong stuff and his physique should ensure he makes a full recovery as quickly as possible. I wish you well Connor - one day, I will get that interview!