FIRST and foremost, this is not a witch-hunt against Lee Bowyer.

There have been far worse than the tenacious midfielder during Town's trio of miserable performances.

But his absence from tomorrow's visit of Doncaster Rovers - now deemed a must-win after a dismal few games - might oddly help the Blues, rather than have supporters singing them.

It gives Paul Jewell a dilemma, but an intriguing one.

He could continue to deploy the diamond midfield or move to a more orthodox 4-4-2 formation. Mark Kennedy could be brought into defensive midfield or there could be a starting spot for Lee Martin or Josh Carson - both were praised by Jewell this week.

Another tempting option must be to move Jimmy Bullard to the tip of the diamond, releasing him from his defensive shackles, following his wonderful solo goal last week.

My heart wants to see more pace injected into the midfield - whether through Carlos Edwards moving back onto the wing or Martin and/or Carson returning to the side. I would love to see Town really go at a Doncaster side that is better than their paltry two league wins suggest, but whose confidence can quickly be go - and shot - at.

Play 4-4-2, with two proper wingers, not Grant Leadbitter. And then have two central midfielders consisting of the never-say-die Keith Andrews and one of Leadbitter or Bullard, I'd go for the latter.

Sadly, my head thinks the diamond will remain and either Kennedy or Carson will be brought in. 

Then again, I was equally sceptical when Jewell lined up with four central midfielders against Coventry City. And we all know what happened there.