I HAD my first friendly 'confrontation' with a Town star last night. The first time one of my questions has been turned around and asked back to me.

The player in question was the affable Keith Andrews, who gave a typically honest and frank admission of the Blues' failings in their 1-0 victory over Portsmouth.

It started simply enough, Keith talking about how he was delighted with his goal (above) which lifted Town up to sixth in the Championship but disappointed in the scrappy nature of the win.

Then I simply asked him if he thought Ipswich deserved the points over an improving Pompey side? He replied that they had deserved the win because they had won, simple, before turning it around on me, asking: "You don't obviously?".

Whether people agree with me or not - and my previous blog on David Norris certainly sparked debate - I will always be honest.

So I told Keith exactly what I am writing now...Ipswich were very hugely lucky to claim the three points at Portman Road last night. 

After a bright first few minutes, the side slowly descended into playing like strangers again. On some occasions they seemed over-confident, with Danny Collins among those guilty of some wayward Beckenbauer-esque passing. But then at other times they looked nervy and edgy, unbefitting a side that had gone five matches unbeaten.

It was strange to watch, not to mention worrying, as big names like Jimmy Bullard and Michael Chopra put in their worst shift of the season.

Reasons why are difficult to nail down. A collective bad day at the office or credit to Pompey who never stopped running and looked dangerous on the break?

As Andrews rightly said, it was probably a "bit of both".

But what was obvious was how leggy some of the home players looked. Cardiff was clearly a sapping 90 minutes, as was last night against the valiant visitors.

Paul Jewell admitted post-match that he had not been completely honest with the media, hiding the fact that some players were carrying knocks - how dare he?!. So a bumper Saturday crowd at Portman Road might see some new faces in the starting XI.

Right, that's a few hundred words on what went wrong, both during the game and in the interview after! 

But quite simply, who cares??!! The most important thing was that Jewell's new-look Blues have finally found a way to grind out a victory when they have been below-par.

A few weeks ago when Southampton and Peterborough were shipping in goals against them for fun, Ipswich never looked like keeping a clean sheet, never mind playing badly and winning. It is an often-used phrase, but that is clearly a hallmark of a good team.

As Jewell rightly said, Town will have to up their game against fellow top-sixers Palace at the weekend, but last night was in one way as encouraging as the wins against West Ham and Brighton.