MOMENTUM...a seemingly new football buzz-word, or at least one that seems to be all the rage like never before.

Whether it is newly-promoted teams or ones with new managers, string a few results together and momentum is what you got. 

And boy did Ipswich Town have it going into the international break. Take a spoonful of defensive solidity, a dose of fluidity and flexibility and a heap of prolific strikers and what do you have?  You get my point.

So it was with a little trepidation that I made the long trip to Cardiff yesterday to see if a two-week gap had scuppered the rise of Paul Jewell's new-look Blues.

Well I am happy to report it hasn't - but only just. 

The most important thing was that Ipswich kept their unbeaten run going, now five games and counting, not to mention just one defeat in seven. After yesterday's 2-2 draw, they can look forward to two home matches in five days and maybe, just maybe, a top six place at the end of Saturday night.

But it was close as Cardiff pushed them all the way at the end and Town did all they could to look unimpressive at the beginning.

There's no getting away from the fact that the Super Blues had a super hangover for the first 25 minutes at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Unable to string passes together or create any worthwhile chances, they also looked more than a little shaky at the back. It was as if all the things that had made Town good recently had been turned on their head. I can barely remember Danny Collins losing a header in games one to four, but the hugely Rudy Gestede put paid to that (although the centre-back vastly improved in the second half).

Jason Scotland's equaliser brought about a half-hour period either side of the break which returned Ipswich to their post-international break form - and Scotland himself should have made the points safe, as he admitted after the game.

But following Peter Whittingham's contentious penalty - after inept referee Dean Whitehouse simply lost control - the Bluebirds showed their own strengths in what proved to be an absorbing end to the match.

Town were hanging on a little. But regardless of how it came about and why, most would have taken a point after the match, just as much as before.

* For those trying to keep up... judging on yesterday's booing richter scale, the majority of Cardiff fans still like Michael Chopra, but Scotland is not on their Christmas card list (especially when he scored and gave them the finger - no, not that one). 

While judging by the fans' reaction and subsequent tasteless tweets, poor Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is not  welcome in the city any time soon. We still love you JET, even if I can't understand anything you write on Twitter.

* On a lighter note, it appears Paul Jewell has made signing number 13. Always wanting to make transfer deals under the radar, I applaud Jewell for his efforts in keeping quiet the capture of young Canadian full-back 'Sergio Peter'. Or maybe the Cardiff City programme just got Jaime Peters' name wrong!