SO we come to the business end of the season, the last month when promotions and relegations will be thrashed out and decided, once and for all.

I still think that League One, this year, has been weaker than in previous seasons, especially with the previous promotion of "bigger" clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and Charlton.

But the U's, after knocking on the play-off door in recent years, have been embroiled in a relegation struggle for virtually the whole campaign, albeit for a brief spell when new manager Joe Dunne could seemingly do no wrong at the start of his reign.

So will the U's survive?

In short, I think so - just.

Hartlepool, Bury and Portsmouth appear doomed, and I think Scunthorpe will be the unlucky fourth team to join them in League Two for next season.

The Iron have a tough schedule during their run-in, including four awkward road trips to Bournemouth, Preston, Bury and MK Dons.

Furthermore, their final game of the season is at home to Swindon Town, who could well need a victory to clinch promotion to the Championship.

I think that Oldham will escape the drop zone. They have games in hand, and will fancy their chances of picking up points at home to the likes of Carlisle and Crawley, as well as Colchester on Easter Monday.

As for the U's - they do have the advantage of a few more points on the board, and studying the remaining fixtures, I'm hoping - and predicting - that the U's can guarantee League One safety with a victory over fellow strugglers Shrewsbury in their final home game on April 20.

They have a commanding keeper, in Sam Walker, a settled back four, two strong central midfielders in Billy Clifford and Andy Bond, and a wealth of attacking options.

If the U's can indeed cheat relegation this season, then next season could be a BIG ONE at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

But first things first. There is still work to be done, but I think the U's will be alright.