IT is now a fraction over 20 years, since I reported on my first ever Colchester United game for the East Anglian Daily Times and old Green'Un newspapers.

The date was precisely Saturday, November 21, 1992, and the match, between Colchester United and Rochdale, ended in a thrilling 4-4- draw.

Some games you remember, others you forget.

There are fixtures from under a year ago that I struggle to recall, with any great clarity, but I will never forget that first game as U's correspondent. I even remember that it rained!

Prompted by this recent "20th anniversary," I have compiled a list of my best 10 games. over those last two decades.

And here they are:

1 Norwich City, 7-1 away win (opening day of 2009-10 season, who will ever forget the sight of two Canaries fans running on the pitch to tear up their season tickets, in response to the U's slamming home an early fourth goal. Of course Norwich ended up winning promotion, after 'poaching' the services of U's boss Paul Lambert).

2 Chelsea, 3-1 away defeat (FA Cup fifth round, February 19, 2006, the only defeat on my list. The moment when Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho netted an own goal, to give the U's a 1-0 lead at Stamford Bridge, will always stick with me).

3 Yeovil, 0-0 away draw (clinching promotion to the Championship on the final day of the 2005-06 season. The only goalless draw in my top 10. Will the U's ever be involved in a more important 0-0? Probably not).

4 Peterborough United, 3-0 home win (Auto Windscreen Shield southern final second leg, on March 18, 1997. The U's over-turned a 2-0 deficit from the first leg, at London Road, to book their place at Wembley, thanks to goals from Chris Fry, Paul Buckle and a golden goal from Paul Abrahams).

5 Bristol Rovers, 5-4 home win (first home game of new Millennium, January 8, 2000. There was a stunning brace from both Steve McGavin and Karl Duguid, and a last gasp winner from Lomana Lua Lua).

6 Preston, 3-2 away win (March 7, 2000. There were only a handful of U's fans at Deepdale, on a Tuesday night, to witness the U's stun champions-elect Preston. Goals from Joe Keith and Lua Lua had been cancelled out by a late brace from Brett Angell, only for Karl Duguid to smash home a memorable winner).

7 Sunderland, 3-1 home win (April 21, 2007. Roy Keane's promotion squad were shocked by an inspired U's in this Layer Road classic. The U's dominated, and even though the Black Cats bagged an equaliser (Dwight Yorke) against the run of play, to wipe out Wayne Brown's opener, Richard Garcia and Jamie Cureton (penalty) ensured a deserved victory with late goals, in front of a crowd of more than 6,000).

8 Barnet, 3-1 home win (May 13, 1998, this was a nerve-wracking Wednesday evening. The U's were trailing 1-0 from the first leg of this Division Three play-off semi-final, but they turned it around. David Gregory put the U's ahead from the penalty spot, and although Warren Goodhind levelled on the night, David Greene ensured extra-time with a 65th minute header. Gregory conjured up a 95th minute winner to secure another trip to Wembley).

9 Ipswich Town, 1-0 home win (September 29, 2006, another of those memorable matches from the U's first season in the Championship. Club stalwart Karl Duguid squeezed home what proved to be an early winner (ninth minute), on a Friday night, the third home win in an amazing 11-game winning streak on home turf).

10 Wycombe Wanderers, 5-2 away win (September 18, 1993, Roy McDonough's men dismantled their former Conference rivals at Adams Park. It was a sweet success. Goals from Mark Kinsella, McDonough, Steve Brown, Steve McGavin and Martin Grainger wrapped up a convincing win, just seven days after the U's had been beaten 5-2 at Layer Road by Rochdale).