I've been playing away from home for two months, but don't tell the wife!

In fact, I've forgotten what home comforts are like, since the turn of the year, although this has little to do with me being led astray by some "lady of the night."

Circumstances have conspired to see me hit the road in a big way during January and February, to such an extent that 10 of my last 11 games have all been away from home.

For the U's, I have had short trips to MK Dons and Leyton Orient, followed by more daunting trips to Yeovil and Oldham.

But elsewhere, I have also reported on the fortunes of Ipswich Town and Braintree Town, visiting grounds that U's fans might end up watching their team in years to come.

I can't see the U's having to go to Bath City in the very near future - The Romans look certainties for the drop into the Blue Square South, unless three or four clubs suffer liquidation in the next few months!

Braintree poached an injury-time equaliser at Twerton Park to grab a 1-1 draw in early January, and Bath have hardly picked up a point since that setback.

Highbury Stadium, the plush home of Fleetwood Town, is a more likely venue for the hardiest of U's fans in the next couple of years.

Fleetwood are flying high at the top of the Blue Square Premier, and could well edge out Wrexham for the one automatic promotion slot into the Football League.

The Iron were hammered 3-1 at leaders Fleetwood, situated just up the coast from Blackpool. Perhaps the north-west club will be squatting in League One in the not-too-distant future? Or maybe the U's will meet them in the Carling Cup?

The four away games with Ipswich were at clubs that U's fans have visited in past seasons.

It was a long time (nearly 11 years) since the U's League Cup visit to Portsmouth (the days of Peter Crouch at Pompey - the U's won 2-1!), but trips to Birmingham and Leeds have been enjoyed in more recent times.

Brighton's Amex Stadium, however, is a ground that I hope will soon be on the U's radar - though probably more likely as a cup game than a league fixture.

Having reported on the U's at the Goldstone Ground, Priestfield (ground-share with landlords Gillingham) and the infamous Withdean Stadium, the Seagulls are flying high in their new ground.

I was very impressed the Amex. It is a ground with bags of character, conducive to a cracking atmosphere due to the sloping roofs and the filled-in corners. The noise can be deafening.

Hopefully, one day soon, the U's will pay a visit to the Amex.

However, I won't be counting the days until my return to Fleetwood. It's a neat stadium, but a long, long way from home!