Be ware the dangers of getting carried away by sensationalist headlines and, in the words of Colchester United boss John Ward, ‘scurrilous’ reporting.

Poor Tom Bender has been in the news, and trending on Twitter, following his unfortunate collision with Accrington Stanley keeper Ian Dunbavin – he caught a punch full in the face as Dunbavin tried to clear the ball.

U’s defender Bender, who is on a season-long loan at Accrington, was treated on the pitch for 25 minutes, put on a drip and given oxygen, before being taken by ambulance to Blackburn Hospital.

The game, a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy match against Tranmere, was abandoned with Rovers leading 2-1.

Bender has since made a fantastic recovery, and was discharged from hospital just 24 hours later. Results of an earlier brain scan gave him the all-clear.

That was music to Ward’s ears, although the U’s boss could not hide his disgust at some of the reporting in the immediate aftermath of Bender’s unfortunate injury.

One newspaper also had a back page headline of – ‘Game off as player fights for life.’

There were also numerous tweets, in the heat of the moment, suggesting that Bender may have even broken his neck.

This would have all been very distressing for any friend or family member of Bender’s who just happened to stumble on such a tweet or a newspaper headline.

For the record, the article under the above headline began as follows: ‘Accrington Stanley defender Tom Bender was rushed to hospital on a drip last night after a fight for life on the pitch.’

Actually, Bender had already begun to regain consciousness as he was stretchered off the pitch.

Poetic license taken to the extreme, I would suggest.

I'm all for quickfire reporting and getting the news first, but only if the facts are correct, especially when the subject is potentially so serious.

U's boss Ward has described some of the immediate reporting of Bender's unfortunate incident as 'scurrilous,' 'inappriopriate' and 'wrong.'

And I would have to agree with him.

More haste, less speed.

So I'm off for a snooze in the hammock!