I RECKON I've clocked up as many miles as a long-distance lorry driver this month!

Well, not quite, but by the end of September I will have totalled 2,545 miles on the road, following the trails blazed by Colchester United, Ipswich Town and Braintree Town.

I figured that following the fortunes of three different clubs must surely guarantee some success, and so it has proved. But I won't be making a habit of it.

For the record, over the last month I have paid visits to Scunthorpe (360-mile round trip), Blackpool (546), Brentford (184), Sheffield (356), Woking (231) and Middlesbrough (503), while on Saturday's it's a first visit to Chesterfield's new ground (365).

The two demoralising experiences were at Bramall Lane and Bloomfield Road.

The U's were well and truly trounced 3-0 by Sheffield United - the highlights were parking the car within a stone's throw of the main reception, and the quality of the mushy peas in the press room - so you can tell how much fun I had that day.

A week earlier and over at Blackpool, sorry Town had fared no better. I didn't even get time to see the sea, the first time this has happened on my many trips to the holiday resort, due to my photographer colleague insisting on taking pictures of the many Town away supporters' coaches in the car park. There were 13 of them.

Personally, I would have preferred an amble on the beach and a stick of candy floss.

Town lost 2-0 and my lap-top got wet due to the lack of cover from the elements in the press box. Apart from that, I had another great day.

They were the low points.

But life on the road has its upside as well.

The U's 1-1 draws at Scunthorpe and Brentford were both satisfying days out, especially as United rallied from a goal-down, which always makes for a happier return journey. Super sub Steven Gillespie rescued a point at Glanford Park, and Anthony Wordsworth's injury-time free-kick at Griffin Park was an absolute joy. It didn't matter that I was diverted off the M4 on my departure from west London.

Further down the A12 and "Essex pub side" (a common description invented by opposition Blue Square Premier clubs) Braintree Town can do no wrong.

I have had the good fortune to watch the Iron twice on the road this season, and both times they have deserved their wins - at the New Lawn against Forest Green Rovers and at Kingfield (home of Woking) for a game against tenants Hayes & Yeading.

It didn't matter that the crowd was only 209 at Woking, or that we had missed our junction off the A3 on our way to the ground. It's always great to see a "small" club bounding from one win to the next, playing with terrific self-confidence.

It's also encouraging to see players who never quite made it in the professional game, such as former U's youth team defenders Adam Bailey-Dennis and Matt Paine, plus ex-Ipswich Academy player Jai Reason, come good at another club. All three have been excellent for the Iron this term.

The Blue Square Premier can also come up with some hidden treats, like the music played on the tannoy before kick-off at Woking, which included old gems from Jane's Addiction and Sham 69. Beats the usual dull music we are exposed to at some of the bigger clubs.

Middlesbrough away last weekend yielded a good point for Town, and perhaps an insight into a new job creation scheme in the north-east of England - we had four car parking attendants on hand to direct us into the car park, which was virtually empty when we arrived!

And so September will end with another trip up the A1 to Chesterfield on Saturday.

In the words of "Green Day" - "Wake me up, when September ends!"