THE county council insists that all libraries are safe but these protestations don't seem to have cut much ice with library campaigners who are trying to keep up the pressure.

The issue dominated Thursday's meeting of the full council - kept it going for more than four hours and ended up making absolutely no impact on council policy!

And the issue will once again dominate the council's cabinet meeting on Tuesday - although there will be some positive decisions taken on that occasion.

No doubt the protesters will be out in force again at that meeting even though libraries spokeswoman Judy Terry and leader Mark Bee keep saying they intend to keep libraries open.

Why don't the protesters believe them?

Largely, I suspect, it is a matter of trust. When the first proposals were published at the start of the year it was never said explicitly that the 29 designated as "community libraries" were under threat if local residents and parish councils did not take them over.

However that was the message that reached the public and no one believed the council when it said that was not necessarily the case.

Now the language has changed. The council is trying very hard to persuade us that libraries will not close. Now anyone doing this job has to be sceptical about council statements - but for what it's worth I do accept what the administration is telling me on this.

But there was so much distrust built up between the council and the protesters earlier this year that some of them simply won't believe a word that comes out of Endeavour House.

To be fair the most vocal campaigner, James Hargrave, told the council this week that he did accept there had been a change but he and others are determined to keep up the pressure.

The other issue that is firing up the campaigners is, of course, what kind of library service we are going to be left with.

On this issue they might have more difficulty in carrying the public with them.

While many people are worried about the future of libraries, I'm not convinced that many of the footsoldiers are that concerned with how the library service is run - whether it is a council department, an arms-length company or whatever.

So long as the local library is open at reasonable times, that you are able to borrow books or CDs or go to book clubs or children's groups there then fine. If it's actually manned by the retired teacher from down the road on a Saturday morning, then what is there to worry about?

I can understand that for staff or trade unions this is a crucial point - but it is not something that will get people marching through the streets of Leiston or Stradbroke.

But the library debate will not go away. Final decisions are not now likely to be made until November. The campaign goes on!