Some weeks a photograph just leaps out at me that, no matter how tenuous the link, I simply have to use it for the article. This is one of those weeks.

This stunning shot of a hummingbird hawkmoth was actually snapped across the border in Dorset, but it’s an insect which is becoming increasingly familiar across the South of Britain, especially in East Devon.

Journal photographer Alex Walton took this shot of a hummingbird hawkmoth as it fed from valerian flowers, in its characteristic manner which gives it its name. As soon as I hear a report of a hummingbird being seen in the vicinity, I know a hawkmoth has made it across the channel and has been seen feeding.

This day-flying moth attempts to satisfy its insatiable hunger by feeding on the sweet nectar of flowers, using an enormous proboscis tongue to suck the sugary

fluid deep from within the bloom. Just like a hummingbird, it hovers a few centimetres from the flower and dips its tongue from a distance, wings a-blur and its bright orange tail flashing, its easy to see how this little insect is sometimes confused with a tiny bird.

It is glimpses of exactly this weird and wonderful biodiversity, that an upcoming event on the Axe Estuary Wetlands intends to bring to life.

An ever-popular event elsewhere, this will be the first BioBlitz hosted by the East Devon District Council Countryside Service. A BioBlitz is a period of 24 hours when everything that grows, walks, crawls, slides, swims or flies on a particular site is surveyed and recorded.

For the visitor, it is an amazing chance to visit a nature reserve with a host of experts and, for those of us who manage nature reserves, it gives us an invaluable record of all those strange, esoteric and complicated groups of plants and animals we had no idea about!

By working with my good chums at Natural England, I have managed to secure the services of some of the country’s leading experts in their field. These are the people who don’t just know about the big, people know about the odd squidgy bits and pieces other people overlook.

We’re in for a fabulous time. The event kicks off on Saturday, July 30, at 9pm for a guided walk around Stafford Marsh in search of bats. Local ecologist, mammologist and licensed bat surveyor Ian Crowe will take us on an illuminating walk in the gloom to find the various species of bat which call the reserves their home. Considering that we have the rarest bat (and therefore the rarest mammal) in the country, living just a few miles up the valley in Holyford Woods Local Nature Reserve, it is something of an ambition to record Bechstein’s

Bat on the Axe Estuary Wetlands, perhaps we’ll encounter one that night. Overnight, Fraser and I will be running a moth trap, sampling the diversity of moths which fly over the marshes at night.

The following day we will be starting early for a moth breakfast, where local moth experts will come along and help us identify everything which ends up in the traps. When I run a moth trap, either for work or pleasure (yes, my job does have massive cross-overs with my hobby) I end up overlooking at least 60 per cent of the contents, deciding to leave the small micro moths and flies to another day.

On Sunday morning, it will be crunch time as we attempt to work out what everything is, however quirky.

After the moth breakfast, the rest of the day will see scientists, and naturalists scouring the reserve, accompanied, hopefully, by large crowds of people interested in learning more about our local wildlife. I certainly will be hanging on their every word.

Birds, mammals and reptiles are pretty well studied on the site, so a few walks to look at these groups will be included, but it will be the less eye-catching groups which will no doubt prove the most interesting.

I have something of a mental block when it comes to scientific names, and much of what will be found will only be known by its scientific or Latin name.

Please don’t let this put you off, as I intend to make it my day’s task to assign a ‘common’ name to everything we find.

Episyrphus baletatus is a mesmeric little hoverfly, known more widely as the marmalade fly, so why aren’t more little flies given such memorable local names?

Go along and help me come up with the couple of hundred new names which might be needed if we really strike lucky on July 31, and hit a rich seam of form in finding creatures.

The new facilities on the Axe Estuary Wetlands will be put through their paces too, as it will be the first time we really use the Field Studies Base for its intended purpose. The solar array will be working overtime to power microscopes, as people identify those odd spiders which can only be clinched by looking at the shape of their genitalia, while the stove will be cranking out a few hundred gallons of tea to keep all those involved fully refreshed throughout their hard work.

I am looking forward to this event possibly more than any other this year, it’s everything I enjoy about natural history: there’s always something new to get your teeth into!