February, 2014 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

February, 2014

A visit to Surrey’s latest foodie fantasy, The Anchor in Ripley…

Posted over 5 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

There’s no doubt that the modern pub is a very different beast to the ol’ spit and sawdust drinking dens of old. While a mix of costly legislation, taxes, rental costs and sky high entertainment licenses have strangled one end of the market...

Surrey Life visits Macbeth film set at Hankley Common

Posted over 5 years ago by mwilliams with 1 comments

Taking advantage of a beautiful weekend morning, Surrey Life paid a visit to the striking Hankley Common film set of Macbeth. French Oscar-winner Marion Cotillard is playing Lady Macbeth opposite 12 Years A Slave star Michael Fassbender, in this new adaption...

Waterworld: Surrey fights dramatic floods as River Thames spills

Posted over 5 years ago by mwilliams with 1 comments

It's been a horrific winter for flooding in Surrey but events have reached another dramatic low in the past couple of days, with the River Thames threatening communities from Runnymede to Kingston. This afternoon, prime minister David Cameron visited...

Macbeth filming at Hankley Common sets another Scottish scene in Surrey – update 2

While my attention today has been concentrated on the otherworldly real life scenes developing in the Thameside areas of north Surrey, this great pic of the Macbeth film set at Hankley Common by our friend The Foraging Photographer still caught my eye...

Macbeth filming at Hankley Common sets another Scottish scene in Surrey – update 1

Posted over 5 years ago by mwilliams with 2 comments

Previously home to James Bond’s Skyfall, Hankley Common near Elstead is being transformed into a medieval village for a new film adaption of Macbeth, starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. “Once again our Surrey heathland is standing...

Weybridge ‘born’ rock band You Me At Six hit with UK number one album

When Surrey Life went to press with our February edition’s 'pop' stories , featuring The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Disclosure and more, we underestimated the expectation surrounding the latest effort from Weybridge ‘born’ rock band You...