September, 2012 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

September, 2012

The art of shooting macro photography ~ dragonflies up close

Posted over 7 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

I spotted this absolutely breathtaking picture of an emperor dragonfly among our latest Surrey Life readers' photos and as something of an amateur photographer had to speak to the man behind it, East Molesey resident Stephen Darlington, about its creation...

Filming in Surrey ~ welcome excitement or unwanted nuisance?

As anyone who regularly follows my Surrey Life blog will know, I have a bit of a thing for film location hunting in Surrey… As anyone who regularly follows my Surrey Life blog will know, I have a bit of a thing for film location hunting in Surrey…...

Your chance to buy John Lennon's former St George's Hill, Weybridge home

While living in Weybridge in the 1960s, John Lennon oversaw The Beatles cement their status as the world's biggest band. Now, his former home, Kenwood, is back on the market While living in Weybridge in the 1960s, John Lennon oversaw The Beatles cement...

Stovell's restaurant launches in place of Cloche Hat in Chobham

Entering the restaurant formerly known as the Cloche Hat in Chobham leaves you feeling a little bit like how I imagine Gandalf felt entering Bilbo Baggins' Hobbiton abode for the first time: wary of the headroom. Entering the restaurant formerly known...

Box Hill back in spotlight as Simon Pegg and co create The World's End

No stranger to the global spotlight this summer, with the Olympic cycling road races passing through, Box Hill is now attracting the attentions of the silver screen. No stranger to the global spotlight this summer, with the Olympic cycling road races...

Visit to the Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, Ockley ~ blink and you'll miss it attraction

I had been meaning to visit the Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden for some time and finally made it along this weekend – just about, having battled with an unhelpful Sat Nav and some blink and you'll miss it signage. I had been meaning to visit the Hannah...

Surrey food and drink awards ~ pubs, patisseries and, er, parrots

As mentioned a few weeks ago, the Michelin-starred Drake's restaurant in Ripley has received further national recognition as home to the best wine list in the country according to the 2013 Good Food Guide. There's been plenty more Surrey foodie success...

Thor 2 film set for Bourne Wood, Farnham ~ a ‘battle between two kingdoms' IV

Filming started in earnest at Bourne Wood this week as battle commenced on the Thor 2 set... Filming started in earnest at Bourne Wood this week as battle commenced on the Thor 2 set - as evidenced by these pics from local twitter users @lucyspong and...

Thor 2 film set for Bourne Wood, Farnham ~ a ‘battle between two kingdoms' III

If you go down to the woods today, you might just discover a 'fictional village set in another realm'. This weekend I visited the set of Thor 2 at Bourne Wood, near Farnham, which has quickly taken shape. Here are the latest pics... If you go down to...

Thor 2 film set for Bourne Wood, Farnham ~ a ‘battle between two kingdoms' II

With Bourne Wood, near Farnham, set to be transformed into a ‘fictional village set in another realm' for the feature film, Thor 2, local photographer Wayne Howes popped by to see how things are coming together… Photo: http://waynehowes.zenfolio.com...

Sir Ridley Scott filming The Counselor in Thames Ditton

Following the sad passing of brother Tony last month, acclaimed director Sir Ridley Scott has returned to work on his new film The Counselor – and the latest scenes have brought him to Thames Ditton. Photo: http://waynehowes.zenfolio.com Following the...