May, 2012 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

May, 2012

The Sculpture Park in Churt: Surrey's secret garden

Posted over 7 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

Last weekend's amazing weather offered the perfect opportunity to visit one of my very favourite places in Surrey I first discovered The Sculpture Park, Churt, last year with my fiancée. We'd half expected to spend a brisk hour or so pottering...

Dressed up for the Diamond Jubilee – Surrey towns and villages show their colours

Passing through Albury on Sunday morning, we were greeted by a feast of red, white and blue – the Queen also made an appearance, sort of. Passing through Albury on Sunday morning, we were greeted by a feast of red, white and blue – the Queen also...

Wentworth Estate residents get new superstar neighbours?

Last November I visited the Wentworth Estate, which has long been celebrated as one of the country's most exclusive addresses, for Surrey Life. Last year I visited the Wentworth Estate, which has long been celebrated as one of the country’s most...

Don't miss your tickets for the Celebrating the Torch event in Guildford

Free tickets for July's Olympic Torch celebrations at Stoke Park in Guildford are available from tomorrow morning. Free tickets for July's Olympic Torch celebrations at Stoke Park in Guildford are available from tomorrow morning. Headlining the evening’s...

Hogs Back Brewery pays tribute to the Queen with new Majestea beer

To celebrate the Diamond Jubilee, the latest commemorative ale from Surrey-based Hogs Back Brewery has been crowned. To celebrate the Diamond Jubilee, the latest commemorative ale from Surrey-based Hogs Back Brewery has been crowned. Based on T.E.A. ...

Staines-upon-Thames Day

Marking the official relaunch as Staines-upon-Thames, a huge party will celebrate the town's riverside roots and see the unveiling of a replica London Stone, the sealing of a 2012 time capsule and a charity duck race on Sunday May 20. Marking the official...

Living the rural idyll? Grow your own in a Surrey pub garden

At Surrey Life we enjoy nothing more than highlighting the success stories of our more innovative local pubs. At Surrey Life we enjoy nothing more than highlighting the success stories of our more innovative local pubs . We’ve also often flagged...

‘Lonely hearts' list for buildings at risk features Surrey property - Heritage at Risk

SAVE Britain's Heritage's new Dare to Care report features a series of dilapidated properties from around the UK, which the conservation group suggests offer an ‘array of exciting opportunities for restoration-minded buyers'. SAVE Britain’s Heritage’s...

Olympic cycling race spectators at Box Hill and Hampton Court Palace face ticket charge

Spectators will be charged to attend the Olympic cycling events at Box Hill and Hampton Court Palace, with tickets to go on sale from Tuesday May 29, organiser's LOCOG have announced Spectators will be charged to attend the Olympic cycling events at Box...

Clash of the Titans

To Earlswood Lakes near Redhill to test drive my new camera on a bleak bank holiday Monday - my first efforts above point and click, although still fairly limited. To Earlswood Lakes near Redhill to test drive my new camera on a bleak bank holiday Monday...

Wining al fresco? A wine cellar in the garden?

One of the most difficult things about working on a high quality lifestyle magazine is the constant stream of often unobtainable temptation that flows into the inbox every day. One of the most difficult things about working on a high quality lifestyle...

The great phone box graveyard of Merstham – something for the jubilee?

As a consignment of red phone boxes goes on sale for the first time in 25 years from BT (yours from £1,950), many Surrey commuters staring out of train windows while passing Merstham may already noticed what looks very much like a kiosk graveyard. As...