February, 2012 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

February, 2012

Stars watch Joely Richardson's return to stage in The Lady From the Sea at Rose Theatre, Kingston

Posted over 7 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

To the Rose Theatre in Kingston last night, where I joined a crowd including the likes of Vanessa Redgrave, Gyles Brandreth and Jerry Hall to watch Joely Richardson in The Lady From the Sea. To the Rose Theatre in Kingston last night, where I joined a...

Brockham Limeworks: a monument to the ghosts of an industrial Surrey past

This weekend I took a quick detour over to Brockham Limeworks; a site I had been intrigued by since compiling a Heritage Open Days feature for Surrey Life magazine a few years back. This weekend I took a quick detour over to Brockham Limeworks; a site...

James Bond at Hankley Common: Skyfall film set photo update II

Surrey Life reader Tim Page pursued his interest in movie locations this weekend by popping over to Hankley Common, where scenes from the latest James Bond movie Skyfall are to be filmed. Surrey Life reader Tim Page pursued his interest in movie locations...

Boris Johnson digs deep at Sutton Community Farm for 2012 effort

London Mayor Boris Johnson visited Sutton Community Farm with Lord Coe to launch The Big Dig volunteer gardening weekend, from Friday March 16 to Saturday March 17. London Mayor Boris Johnson visited Sutton Community Farm with Lord Coe to launch The Big...

Knitted Farnham: unravelling a woolly tale of yarnbombing

Things have been getting a little woolly in Farnham recently, where sporadic blooms of guerrilla knitting have sprung up on trees, lamp posts and public art. Things have been getting a little woolly in Farnham recently, where sporadic blooms of guerrilla...

Tweedsmuir Polish Camp - the hidden side of rural Surrey and a personal revelation

On meeting my godfather, Piotr Pietrusiewicz, last night I happened to mention that my fiancée and I had spent the previous day on the set of the latest James Bond film in Hankley Common . It was at this point that he revealed to me for the first...

James Bond at Hankley Common: Skyfall film set photo update I

Hit the road today to check out the progress on Surrey's latest film set for the new James Bond movie, Skyfall. Here we see the 'Scottish Monastery' taking shape on MOD land in suitably wet and windy conditions... Following on from Surrey Life reader...

Chef Skye Gyngell leaves Petersham Nurseries after eight years – Gourmet Life

Featured in February's Surrey Life magazine, in our most romantic restaurants selection, Michelin-starred Petersham Nurseries Café has confirmed that head chef Skye Gyngell has left after eight years to pursue other interests. Featured in February’s...

Surrey around the world – UK, Canada, Jamaica, USA and Australia

Since we've launched our new iPhone and iPad app and digital editions, it's noticeable how many of the downloads have been coming in from the USA, Canada and Australia (as well as… China). Expats or Surrey relations? I'd like to know. In this month’s...

Is James Bond on a secret tour of the Surrey Hills?

Over the weekend Surrey Life reader David Holloway sent me this intriguing shot of a new film set taking shape on Hankley Common, near Elstead. Over the weekend Surrey Life reader David Holloway sent me this intriguing shot of a new film set taking shape...

Glastonbury rocks up at Fanny's Farm Shop

When I interviewed Newton Faulkner for September's Surrey Life magazine, I hopefully suggested he might pursue his interest in unusual gig locations at his old stomping ground of Fanny's Farm Shop, near Merstham (the ginger-dreadlocked songsmith worked...

Is football coming home?

Today, I read about Banstead Athletic's unlikely potential alliance with Scottish Premier League giants Glasgow Rangers - the latter apparently keen to set up an academy in the south of England. In February’s Surrey Life magazine , Julian Norridge...

Charles Dickens' Surrey links - 200th anniversary

Today events take place around Britain to mark the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birth, including a street party in Portsmouth where he was born on February 7, 1812, and the laying of a wreath at Westminster Abbey – the latter sees Prince Charles...

Fire and Ice at Denbies vineyard, Dorking

What a difference a few days makes! What a difference a few days makes! On Wednesday, I visited Denbies vineyard in Dorking for a Surrey Hills Food and Drink Festival meeting and while it was certainly crisp as I took a few photos among the vines beforehand...

Your chance to play basketball with Guildford Heat

Ever dreamt of becoming the new Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal or Kobe Bryant? Ever dreamt of becoming the new Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal or Kobe Bryant? Well, on Wednesday February 15, you could go some way to making your on court fantasies a...

Surrey at the heart of England's Six Nations rugby campaign

When the England rugby team steps on to the pitch this weekend for the Six Nations, it will be Harlequins' Chris Robshaw who leads them as captain. When the England rugby team steps on to the pitch this weekend for the Six Nations, it will be Harlequins’...

McLaren unveil their 2012 F1 car in Woking this morning

For those of you intrigued for a sneak peak inside McLaren's space age technology centre, this morning is the perfect opportunity with Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and co busy gearing up to unveil their 2012 F1 contender, the catchily named MP4-27 In...