January, 2012 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

January, 2012

Old world wine vs new world wine – an evening at The Fox and Hounds in Englefield Green

Posted over 7 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

It's the company that makes a night but when the setting is as charming and welcoming as that of The Fox and Hounds, it is easy to leave any worries at the door. To The Fox and Hounds in Englefield Green last night for an old world vs new world wine supper…...

No black eyes as multi-platinum American producer tackles Top Gear track at Dunsfold

Black Eyed Peas' singer and producer will.i.am was a surprise visitor to Dunsfold Park near Cranleigh yesterday as he took to the track for the new series of Top Gear, which screens on Sunday. Black Eyed Peas’ singer and producer will.i.am was a...

Did James Bond make the Skyfall in Thursley?

This weekend I heard a rumour that camera crews were descending on Thursley Common near Godalming, for a secretive James Bond related shoot. This weekend I heard a rumour that camera crews were descending on Thursley Common near Godalming, for a secretive...

Where to buy Surrey Life magazine: don't worry, be app-y…

Surrey Life's iPhone and iPad app joins digital edition and good old fashioned glossy paper to help ease your magazine buying, whatever your chosen format As Surrey Life magazine is now available as an iPhone and iPad app, I thought that it might be useful...

Casserole for the community

The basic principle of Casserole is to encourage people to cook an extra portion when they are cooking, which can then be shared with a neighbour who might not be able to cook for themselves. Today, a fantastic community food project was brought to my...

Diamond jubilee barge built in Richmond is fit for a Queen

A spectacular rowbarge is being handbuilt in Richmond to mark the Queen's 60-year reign. A spectacular rowbarge is being handbuilt in Richmond to mark the Queen's 60-year reign. Once finished, the 88ft-long vessel will lead a 1,000-strong flotilla as...

Britain's oldest working windmill, Outwood Mill damaged in January gales 2012

Being 400 feet above sea level on an exposed hill, Outwood Mill didn't have anywhere to hide as the January gales swept through the country earlier this month. Being 400 feet above sea level on an exposed hill, Outwood Mill didn’t have anywhere...

Shut the gate please cattle

It's not quite up there with Blackheath's This way, That way, Somewhere else sign, but I was pleasantly surprised by the politeness of Surrey's farmers this weekend as I strolled around Ockley. The only questions that remain are how well-educated are...

Stargazing Live events in Surrey 2012

Last year, around 40,000 took part in Stargazing Live astronomy activities in the UK and this year events will be coming to Clandon Park, near Guildford, as well as Newlands Corner, Frensham Heights School and Albury. Last year, around 40,000 took part...