December, 2011 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

December, 2011

Christmas Pie, Surrey: a name that's all wrapped up

Posted over 8 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

The curiously named Surrey hamlet Christmas Pie, which can be found to the west of Guildford near the village of Normandy (seriously!), must surely be among the most festively named in Britain The curiously named Surrey hamlet Christmas Pie, which can...

Name change leaves Staines-upon-Thames

So, Staines is to be rebranded ‘Staines-upon-Thames' with a formal ceremony next May to mark the official name change. So, Staines is to be rebranded ‘Staines-upon-Thames’ with a formal ceremony next May to mark the official name change...

A 2011 swan song in Guildford

To Guildford and two nights of perfect post Surrey Life magazine deadline relaxation, starting with the Russian State Ballet of Siberia's Swan Lake at G Live. To Guildford and two nights of perfect post Surrey Life magazine deadline relaxation, starting...

Is Cherkley Court on course to join Pennyhill, Cliveden and Coworth in the luxury hotel stakes?

The former Surrey home of Lord Beaverbrook could be transformed into a prestigious country house hotel if property developers win the battle against campaigners. The former Surrey home of press baron Lord Beaverbrook could be transformed into a prestigious...

A taste for independents in Reigate or just another multinational coffee shop?

It's a long standing joke between a few of my friends in Reigate that a quick stroll along the High Street is enough to satisfy any caffeine addiction, such is the proliferation of tea shops and coffee houses. It’s a long standing joke between a...

Food for thought for Surrey foodies – vineyards, breweries, farm shops, restaurants and more

Having had a bit of a tidy up at surrey.greatbritishlife.co.uk, I thought I'd share a few of the more (I hope) interesting foodie related links on our website with you in one neat blog post… Having had a bit of a tidy up at surrey.greatbritishlife.co...

Clamping companies in Surrey – and other nuisances, too...

A couple of days ago my fiancée's car got clamped... it was in the car park of the flat complex we live in... the car was clamped at 5.19… in the morning... A couple of days ago my fiancée’s car got clamped... it was in the car park of...