November, 2010 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

November, 2010

The best ways to keep warm this winter…

Posted over 9 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

Before I resort to family packs of microwavable apple pies (pre-heat in morning and store under chair. By the time they've cooled; lunch time!), I thought I better take a look around at some of the more sensible options out there... Sorry if I appear...

The Old Bear, Cobham, goes Italian - Gourmet Life

There had been rumours circulating, but it's been confirmed that The Old Bear in Cobham - the Grade II-listed, two AA rosetted pub that featured regularly among our top Surrey pubs lists – is to become an Italian eatery. There had been rumours circulating...

For sale: £1.2m watercolour of Henry VIII's lost palace at Nonsuch

An unfortunate loss for Surrey's tourism trade, Nonsuch Palace was said to be Henry VIII's most extravagant work and yet this watercolour is almost all that remains. An unfortunate loss for Surrey's tourism trade, Nonsuch Palace was said to be Henry VIII’s...

Where Eagles dare

Somewhere, among my parents' photo albums, there lies convincing proof that while I'm first a Tottenham fan, my love for Crystal Palace football club comes a close second. Photo: Some straggler with Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish ( Andy Newbold...

An evening with Boris Johnson...

Eating shepherd's pie sat alongside a former Tatler editor and someone whose children have been shooting with Eric Clapton, with Prince Charles' retired secretary opposite, is not quite my average night on the town. Eating shepherd’s pie sat alongside...

Wine and dine - Gourmet Life

Quite literally via the grapevine, I've heard that Denbies Wine Estate, Dorking, is teaming up with the Bingham, Richmond, to create a range of bespoke new wines Quite literally via the grapevine, I’ve heard that Denbies Wine Estate, Dorking , is...

Sorry, Mick, you're banned!

Yesterday, a reader attempted to post on my Surrey Life Spotify set list blog post from a couple of weeks back but their comment was declined for including ‘unsuitable content'. What could possibly be offending our system so? Yesterday, a reader attempted...

Living to Music: join my record club...

Riding the coat tails of book club popularity, groups of people are settling down in cosy rooms across the country, switching off the world (yes, even Twitter) and actually listening to a ‘classic' record in its entirety – followed with a little conversation...

What makes a great photograph?

Since May, Surrey Life readers have joined photographers across the nation in submitting their entries to the Great British Photo competition. We received nearly 1,000 in Surrey alone and that mountain has now been sculpted into a final shortlist. Since...