August, 2010 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

August, 2010

Newton Faulkner headlines intimate charity event in Reigate

Posted over 9 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

It's not often that you get to see one of your favourite musicians perform at your local rugby club and then get the chance to ask if he speaks enough French to say hello to your girlfriend. But then, Newton Faulkner isn't your average ‘pop star'. It’s...

Arming ourselves against an army of arachnids?

Whether it's the unseasonably unseasonable weather or they've just got a sense of humour, creepy crawlies certainly appear to have declared open warfare at the Coach House and it feels like we're losing the battle Whether it’s the unseasonably unseasonable...

Madonna set to bring latest film to Surrey?

The Queen of Pop might be filming somewhere in Surrey. Then again, she might not... Most recently spotted at the helm of her latest movie* in the South of France and on the streets of West London, rumours abound that Madonna and her crew are set to descend...

Who is running this place? Basil Fawlty?

As regular Surrey Life readers will know, we recently held our first reader forum – during which there came a consensus that people wanted more scathing restaurant reviews; motorway holes to avoid with rotting wallpaper, farm yard stained carpets and...

THE CHALLENGE: one photo summing up your Surrey town/village, then and now

Inspired by Surrey Life reader Jo Orr, who lives in Coulsdon, I have a photographical challenge to lay on the table that could perfectly encapsulate the ever changing face of Surrey Inspired by Surrey Life reader Jo Orr, who lives in Coulsdon, I have...

The best of British beer

On Friday, I made my annual pilgrimage to Earls Court with my old man for the Great British Beer Festival - and, no, my delay in reporting back has nothing to do with a hangover before you ask (we've just been putting the biggest ever issue of Surrey...

US billionaires pledge | Why you don't have to be on a rich list to make a difference in Surrey

With thirty-eight US billionaires having pledged at least 50% of their wealth to charity through The Giving Pledge campaign started by investor Warren Buffet and Microsoft founder Bill Gates, there's never been a better time for giving. Well, you can...

Rising from the mothballs to soar again at Wings & Wheels

I was at the last flight of the Vulcan back in 1992, at Biggin Hill (at least, if my childhood recollections are true). Having since reclaimed the skies thanks to a nationwide campaign, the Cold War icon returns to Dunsfold in August I was at the last...