March, 2010 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

March, 2010

April Fools' Day: what do you know?

Posted over 9 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

One of these may not be true, can you tell which? One of these may not be true, can you tell which? All but one can be found either in the mag or online... Facebook fans want to make Bagshot’s Brian Blessed the voice of sat-nav – over 8,000...

Winston Churchill leads the tanks into Holmbury St Mary

Every day is different but some days are more different than others. When I got a call from former Fleet Street photographer Robert Barclay mentioning he had pictures of Winston Churchill and a World War II tank in Holmbury St Mary, I wasn't quite sure...

My hidden Surrey pub gems. What are yours?

In ever more challenging conditions, the creativity of pub owners continues to flourish. Let's celebrate In ever more challenging conditions, the creativity of pub owners continues to flourish. We're fortunate in Surrey to have a fantastic range of hostelries...

Supercar Sunday at the Mulberry Inn, Chiddingfold - Chris Evans, bacon butties and a celebrity chef

Most Sundays, I wake up bright and early, rain or shine, expectantly springing out of bed for my weekly dose of football. This weekend, however, was different... Most Sundays I wake up bright and early, rain or shine, expectantly springing out of bed...

Dan Brown: fact or fiction? Behind the scenes with Surrey's freemasons

It was with some excitement that we were able to send regular Surrey Life contributor Nicholas Owen behind the scenes to meet the Provincial Grand Master of Surrey for April's magazine Whatever your views about Dan Brown, the marmite of the literary world...

That Stonehenge. It's just a pile of rocks, right?

Thought that would get your attention... Thought that would get your attention... Okay, as it's British Tourism Week , I thought I would spread the world view of my blog and reach past my usual Surrey (with occasional London diversions) ramblings. It...

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's...

Dame Judi Dench and a flying red squirrel. You couldn't make it up. ...Dame Judi Dench and a flying red squirrel. You couldn't make it up. A super fast entry today as am in the midst of deadline. My visit to the British Wildlife Centre in Lingfield this...

The battle of Guildford High Street

The disused building on Guildford High Street at the centre of a power struggle While Farnham-based businessman Mark Gudgin continues to fight for his vision of a local independent cinema on Guildford High Street, the borough council has reaffirmed its...

The future of magazines part 2, with Mark Ellen, editor of The Word

Last night, I discovered that one of my heroes had once been Father Christmas for a season at Debenhams in Guildford. Last night, I discovered that one of my heroes had once been Father Christmas for a season at Debenhams in Guildford. Now, you never...

Is there a future for magazines?

A strange question for me to pose, you might think. But that was the debate at a British Society of Magazine Editors event that I attended last night at the London College of Fashion. A strange question for me to pose, you might think. But that was the...

Great big holes all over Surrey

Potholes. They seem to be getting almost as much press attention as Lady Ashley-Cheryl-Bridge-Terry-Gaga-what's-their-face combined Potholes. They seem to be getting almost as much press attention as Lady Ashley-Cheryl-Bridge-Terry-Gaga-what's-their-face...