January, 2010 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

January, 2010

Leatherhead Business Awards, a tour of the county and BBC Surrey

Posted over 9 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

In the middle of a frantic few days I try to pop up for air. I'll keep it short. Yesterday saw advertising manager Damien St George and I visit the magnificent Cherkley Court (sadly not open to the public for the 2010 season) for the Leatherhead Business...

Not quite a walk in the Surrey Hills

Perhaps it's because I'm reading too many Bill Bryson books at the moment (if such a thing is possible), but I seem to be getting a real fixation on the idea of walking for walking's sake Perhaps it's because I'm reading too many Bill Bryson books at...

GF Watts and the Surrey dinosaur

There I was, walking past London's V&A and who should I bump into but this striking fellow There I was, walking past London’s V&A and who should I bump into but this striking fellow. Known to you and me as GF Watts, regular readers will know...

Kew Gardens on Google Street View

It took me awhile, but today I spent a mildly disorientating morning taking a lazy stroll through Kew Gardens via the comfort of my well cushioned office chair. It's quite incredible It took me awhile, but today I finally spent a mildly disorientating...

From Ham House to Richmond Park via David's

It's not often that you get met at the gates of a National Trust property by two burly security guards It's not often that you get met at the gates of a National Trust property by two burly security guards (I hasten to add, those guards were not the pictured...

There be oil in them there hills

The battle over gas and oil exploration in the Surrey Hills continues apace, with residents having until Monday January 25 to object to Europa Oil & Gas's latest plans to target Leith Hill The battle over gas and oil exploration in the Surrey Hills continues...

If it can go wrong, it will

Whether it's the English weather leaving staff stranded or Surrey Life towers doing its upmost to fall apart at the least opportune moment; it's been a bit of a battle. The motif for the February magazine could have been: if it can go wrong, it will ...

Day 1 - learning the art of survival

It's oh so quiet and getting just a little lonely here at Surrey Life towers ... It’s oh so quiet and getting just a little lonely here at Surrey Life towers ... That’s the view out of my office window, by the way, where the council seem to...

The real Sherlock Holmes

It's elementary, my dear Watson. Isn't it? Well apparently not... As interest in the great detective hits new heights with the release of Guy Ritchie’s take on his tale, a worldwide appeal for financial backing to save Sherlock Holmes creator Sir...