It could be that all important lottery win or the news that I'm set to replace Jonathan Ross on the next series

I made the stupidly amateur mistake of answering a random number today. But, you know, it could be that all important lottery win or the news that I’m set to replace Jonathan Ross on the next series of Friday Night with...Obviously, it wasn’t.

It was a call from an ever so friendly chap claiming to be from Virgin Mobile. I immediately became suspicious when I could understand what he was saying and his conversation even bordered on the helpful. Surely not? As charm personified continued his vocal ear candy about satisfying long term customers, offering the best deals and the like I began to wonder. Then, he asked me (for Data Protection reasons obviously), for my password. Hmmm, I thought. You’re at Virgin Mobile and you need me to give you my password so that you can access my account, what is this madness? At least, I guess his principle query was a truth: can I access your account, please? He was after all very polite, too.

Fortunately, being sharp as a blunt rubber, I cottoned on to the scam and offered some helpful advice for his future career. Helpful call centre staff? It was so obvious he had fallen into the wrong profession.