Well the sun shone, the food and drink was as free flowing as it's ever likely to get, there was live music and entertainment all over Redhill and Reigate and surprise, surprise there were a few smiles, too.

Well the sun shone, the food and drink was as free flowing as it’s ever likely to get, there was live music and entertainment all over Redhill and Reigate and surprise, surprise there were a few smiles, too.

The strange thing was, as busy and merry as things seemed, absolutely no one I know seemed to have heard that there was a massive festival/carnival/party taking place across the two towns or those that had didn’t seem particularly inspired at the thought of one. But why?

I guess some would blame the likes of me. Why didn’t I put more effort into publicising it? The fact is: I tried. I told everyone I knew; spread things across social networking till I was blue in the face, even mentioned it on our site etc. Yet only rarely as I strolled around town did I ever spot anything advertising the events that were set to take place. What’s the point of going to all that effort and then not telling anybody about it?

Maybe I’m being harsh on the organisers and it’s the general population that is just apathetic these days. Are we?

Why didn’t people living in surrounding towns know that if they fancied an interesting Friday night maybe they should pop along to Redhill and Reigate for a feast of music and 20 gigs in 20 pubs? I so often hear people moaning that there is nothing to do and yet whenever there is, no one turns up. Who is at fault?

Anyway, for my part, I had a great weekend and am very appreciative that the organisers went about creating a very enjoyable weekend. Friday night was spent touring Reigate’s drinking establishments watching live music, Saturday down Reigate’s caves and generally wandering around the town in the sunshine and Sunday at Redhill’s Memorial Park, again basking in glorious weather.

Thoroughly enjoyable but with the potential to be so much more…

What are you most looking forward to in your home town this summer? And, does anyone else know or care about it?