January, 2009 - A ramble through Surrey - Surrey Life - Archant Community

January, 2009

Rock is not dead, yet...

Posted over 10 years ago by mwilliams with 0 comments

Whatever would have happened to the likes of Lennon and Jagger if they'd been told to keep their dreams to singing into a hairbrush in front of their bedroom mirror? Last night, I was fortunate enough to see a band called 23 Enigma, at the Ship in Croydon...

The internet: What does it all mean?

It would appear that it is not only me that is left staring at the screen, wondering if another cup of coffee will suddenly make everything far more lucid. As some of you may know, as well as writing for the magazine and generally attempting to help lighten...

Get me ma shotgun, there be good hunting in these here parts...

Gawd darn it, I've just about had enough of the pesky varmint round here. Gawd darn it, I've just about had enough of the pesky varmint round here. A fella just wants to go home and put his feet up by the fire with some good chewing tobacco and a bottle...

Will that be more carrots in the diet then, Sir?

I knew when I started training for this madness that is a marathon that I would come across some surprises along the way. I knew when I started training for this madness that is a marathon that I would come across some surprises along the way. But, suitably...

Barack Obama: Pressure? What pressure...?

In the past 24 hours, I've heard commentators saying that Barack Obama is single-handedly going to... In the past 24 hours, I've heard commentators saying that Barack Obama is single-handedly going to end war, famine, poverty, recession, cure AIDS and...

Have I got news for you...

This morning, I had the pleasure of meeting one of Britain's best known newsreader's, Nicholas Owen, at Urban Kitchen in Reigate. This morning, I had the pleasure of meeting one of Britain's best known newsreader's, Nicholas Owen, at Urban Kitchen in...

The Heathrow expansion

Despite the whole of the country appearing to be against it, plans for an extra runway at Heathrow are now in motion. Well, well, well... Despite the whole of the country appearing to be against it, plans for an extra runway at Heathrow are now in motion...

Base jumping with Sir David Attenborough

When I found Planet Earth at an absolute bargain price on Amazon, I had to pick it up. I've always found pretty much anything Sir David Attenborough has ever worked on to be some of the most amazing, informing and enthralling viewing that there is possible...

Gourmet Gossip: Gordon, Jamie, Tony and me...

Okay, so maybe it is just because I'm feeling more than a tad peckish Okay, so maybe it is just because I'm feeling more than a tad peckish (I'm only a poor journalist you see and food comes at a price. Please feel free to send parcels of nourishment...

A half and half with Chris Evans

I've been doing a little research into Surrey pubs recently (for feature purposes, of course) I’ve been doing a little research into Surrey pubs recently (for feature purposes, of course), in an attempt to discover whether the national trend for...

What makes you happy?

An interesting question I thought... An interesting question I thought (if you want to answer the headline now, feel free)... I imagine for some people, happiness might be the amount of money in their bank account or the size of the screen they are watching...