Archant Community

Posted over 6 years ago by Maggie Harris with 0 comments

Discovering books in charity shops I've been reading some excellent books lately. Have almost read everything by Isabel Allende, and through my habit of browsing charity shops have accumulated a harvest of books I'm reaping through. I found a paperback...

Writers and Words in Canterbury So there I was in Canterbury waiting for my lift up to the uni to see/hear Will Self . The Tuesday readings offer a fantastic range of writers; the week before I'd had the privelege of listening to Patrick and Henry Cockburn...

A birthday week around Canterbury "My teacher's rubbish," my grand-daughter says on the way to Canterbury. Through the bus window the snow was still thick on the hills. "Doesn't teach us anything. I can honestly say she's the worst teacher I've ever had...

Kent poets, musicians and dancer on stage in Deal On Weds 15th Feb I'll be taking part in a collaborative poetry performance with Kent poets and musicians Vicky Wilson, Frances Knight, Cathy Richards and Felicity Brookesmith. Joining us will be my daughter...

Teasing words from The Write Women It's been some time since I ran a workshop for my group, Thanet's Write Women. Living part of my life in Wales doesn't allow me to take part in regular monthly get-togethers, and this week was the first I'd been able...

Reflections on a bus journey So I left the lovable chaos of the grandchildren for a literary evening. The Explorer bus ticket priced £5.80 is great value - by bus and train it would cost £16. When you're an unwaged writer these things matter...

Blowing the trumpet for local writers My neice Lizzie facebooked me the other day. (The language 'facebooked' me!) Aunt Maggie you're in the paper !. And sure enough there I was, a photo taken some two years ago, that I had no idea was going to be used...